5/28/2020-Run/Intervals

Outdoor Run

Fartlek

  • 5:56 am, BG: 169, Start run
    • 2g carb towards the end of the run
  • 6:28 am, BG: 128, End run
  • 6:35 am, BG: 125, 1.1 U pre-bolus, Exit automode
  • 6:58 am, BG: 111, 30 Minutes Post Workout

This morning, I woke up to a pump alarm at 4:45 am. I had intended to get up around 5:30 am but diabetes never sleeps. I was upset to see 177 on my pump but a quick blood test showed I was actually 168. Usually, since the CGM lags behind the pump about 15 mins, that would mean my BG is trending down. I didn’t want active insulin onboard for my run in an hour so I didn’t correct, went back to bed and let automode do it’s thing.

When I tested again pre-run at 5:48 am the CGM was reading 168 and my BG was 177. I yelled to Marty, “177, we have to go now if you’re coming!” and he followed me out the door. My CGM never read out of range on the run but it was definitely borderline today and way higher than I like it. Towards the end of the run, I dropped from 166 to 138 in 10 minutes. On my pump/CGM when I start to see drops that quick, the number shows with an arrow down. I knew since my BGs had been so high, automode had been giving me a bit of extra basal to help bring it down so I ate one gummy to slow that drop down and prevent a low later. Once I got home, I pre-bolused for breakfast because I wanted something with a bit more carbohydrates than my typical breakfast* Whenever I have something like this that I know is going to spike my BGs quickly, I try to pre-bolus and then consume my meal slowly** so the carbs hit at the same time as the insulin.

Just like last Thursday, Marty came with me on the run and gave me the interval pick ups. He says, ‘It’s the only time he gets to boss me around” so he always enjoys it. I really did too! It didn’t hurt that I felt faster today (and my Garmin agreed)! There is also something about warm, rainy days, they always seem to be good running days for me. I was actually surprised at how good I felt this morning since I did one of the free live OTF zoom sessions yesterday. I really thought my legs would feel like cement but that’s why you get out and do it everyday, a lot of times, you can surprise yourself!

*Since I’ve been getting a lot of questions about what I eat, this morning I had a smoothie. Normally I’m not a big smoothie person but today I was craving blueberries so I went for it. I threw 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 10g unflavored collagen protein, 14g vanilla protein powder/probiotic mix, 1/2 tsp L-glutamine, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 c unflavored almond milk all in a blender. It ended up being about 164 calories with 12g carb, 3g fat and 22g protein. Sometimes I sneak some fresh spinach in there too but I forgot it this morning.

**One of my diabuddies mentioned using this strategy when she was pregnant to keep BGs as stable as possible. Her method was pre-bolus, eat 75% of her meal, wait a bit and then eat the other 25% if you want to get technical. I’m not personally pregnant or trying to have kids but I’m certainly open to any strategies to achieve normal blood sugars and optimal health. I’ve also found that this strategy helps me realize when I’m full (before I overeat) and the slow mindful approach allows me to enjoy my meals more. Primarily, food is fuel but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy it too!

Follow My Blog

Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.

Or Follow Me on Social Media

Did I use an abbreviation or term you haven’t heard before? Check out my post on T1 & Athletic Lingo!

The content on this site is not intended to be medical advice. Always consult your doctor before beginning a fitness regimen or adjusting your diabetes management strategy.

Published by Jenny Nat

https://t1-athlete.training/about/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: